History of First Claremont Scout Group

Early meeting places


First Claremont's first venue, from 1908 onwards, was in the Claremont Public School in Palmyra Road, where the first Scoutmaster, George French, was headmaster.

In 1924 the troop was meeting in a disused garage in Main Road with a sawdust floor.

From 1916, land on the corner of Bowwood and Thelma Roads was leased, where our current hall stands. At the time, the land in the area was mostly vacant, so this was probably used as a Scout campsite initially.

Hall, 1924

The hall in Main Road Claremont, 1924

In 1925, a new Scout Hall was opened in Bowwood Road by the Local Association. This hall was made of corrugated iron and stood where the top green of the Claremont Bowling Club is now.
Hall, 1925

The corrugated iron hall in Bowwood Road, 1925

Hall, 1925

Inside the hall, 1925

Hall, 1925

Inside the hall, 1925

The troop's grounds were quite large in those days: in 1926, 17 patrols from the Cape Western Division camped in our grounds for the Gordon Shield competition. We came third, two points behind the joint winners, and the Lansdowne Troop, which was an offshoot of the Claremont Troop formed in 1925, came 5th. The first Gilwell Training Course for the Scout Wood Badge was also held in the grounds in 1926.
Gordon Shield 1926

Gordon Shield, 1926

In 1940 the current hall was opened next to the site of the old corrugated iron building.

 


History of First Claremont Scout Group