History of First Claremont Scout Group

The current Scout Hall in Bowwood Road


In 1940 the current hall was opened next to the site of our old corrugated iron hall. A wooden board in the hall acknowledges the assistance of the Claremont Bowling Club in building the hall.

Hall, 1950

The interior of our current hall, before the stage was built, 1950. Apart from the stage, that's pretty much what it looks like now as well.

Hall, 1958

Our current hall in Bowwood Road, built 1940 (this picture taken 1958)

In 1952, the stage and basement extension was added at a cost of 900 pounds. For many years 'Scout Shows' were held in our hall, the most recent being in 1987.

The stage originally has a wooden shingle roof, but in 1964 it caught fire, probably because of sparks from a fire in refuse nearby. You can still see some of the burnt timbers. Fortunately the fire was not too severe, and the Hall survived.

Hall, 1950

The hall in 1950


History of First Claremont Scout Group